Leadership Beyond One School
“The programme enabled me to explore some of my reservations about executive leadership and realise that it is possible to take the next step without conforming to stereotypes. I feel excited at the prospect of doing that. It’s really boosted my confidence, helped me think about the type of leader I’d like to be, and to identify gaps where I can develop.” 2016/17 participant
Leadership Beyond One School is an executive leadership programme like no other. Designed exclusively for female leaders looking to develop in executive leadership, the programme offers the chance to explore how to be an executive leader in a way that is consistent with your personal values and beliefs. It is open to serving heads, executive heads and other executive leaders working beyond one school.
Now in its second year and fully funded from the NCTL Leadership Equality and Diversity Fund, the programme:
- Offers insights and inspiration from executive leaders in the education sector and beyond, including shadowing opportunities
- Focuses on the key skills and attributes needed to succeed
- Provides you with the chance to work through your personal opportunities, challenges and next steps with an executive coach
- Creates a powerful network of like-minded female leaders
A full programme outline and session dates are available below.
Register your interest
Registration for our 2017/18 programme is closed. If you would like to register your interest for next year, please email email@example.com.
Participants must fulfil the following requirements:
- Attend the induction, residential, five breakfast sessions and final graduation event. We expect all sessions, except the residential, to be held in South London. We invite programme participants to host a session at their school and offer a tour afterwards if possible.
- Complete a short online survey for NCTL at the beginning and end of the programme, and provide information to enable us to meet NCTL reporting requirements.
- Complete self-evaluations at the beginning and end of the programme, and a 360 feedback exercise (unless you have done one in the last 6 months). This will help you assess your strengths and development areas, and enable us to tailor the programme to your needs.
- Pay an upfront “commitment fee” of £250. This will be returned at the end of the programme providing the above requirements are met. If someone else from your school or organisation is taking part in this or the Leading with Confidence programme (for women on their journey to headship), your school/organisation will only be charged one commitment fee, but return of the money will be dependent on all participants from your school/organisation fulfilling the programme requirements.
*The focus of breakfast seminars 2-5 will respond to participant self-evaluation and need. Last year’s seminars included:
- Doing it your way – how to lead beyond one school and be true to your personal and leadership values
- Higher-order strategic planning – including what you need to know about working with your board, HR and finance
- Making the leap – how to manage the transition to executive leadership and adapt to different contexts
- Navigating power and politics – influencing and managing stakeholders
- Leading by example – being a successful leader and mum and/or supporting others to do the same